Borrow a Wifi Hotspot for free high-speed internet for 14 days!
Thanks to a grant from the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), awarded by the State Library of Ohio.
To borrow a Wifi Hotspot, you must
- be 18 years of age or older
- have a valid Louisville Library card
- have less than $20 in fines on your card
- have fewer than 10 overdue items on your card
- show identification at checkout
Wifi Hotspot lending rules
- borrow for 14 days
- may be renewed once, if there are no holds
- limit one Wifi Hotspot per household
- accrue late fees of $3 per day
- overdue Wifi hotspots will be rendered inoperable
- must be checked out from and returned to the Makerspace; Wifi Hotspots returned in any other way will accrue the borrower a $25 fine
- Replacement fees for damaged items:
- Hotspot device $84
- Carrying Case $15
- USB cable $5
- Wall adapter $10
Questions? Call the Makerspace at 330-587-5756 during open hours.
Hotspot Frequently Asked Questions
How do I connect my device to the hotspot?
Locate the Hotspot's Wi-Fi Name (SSID) and Password on the front of the Hotspot
- The Hotspot does not need to be plugged in to work.
- To turn on, press and hold the Power button for 5 seconds
- Make sure Wi-Fi is enabled on your device - laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- Wait for the Wi-Fi icon light to turn off and then back on.
- Once it is blue, search from your device for the available WiFi networks and select the appropriate SSID (located on the front of the device).
- Enter the network password located on the front of the Hotspot.
- Your device will display a message indicating it has connected to the LPL Wi-Fi network.
What happens if I do not return the Hotspot by the due date?
Hotspots not returned by the due date will have the service deactivated and will accrue late fees of $3 per day. At 28 days overdue, a replacement cost of $114 will appear on your account.
How do I renew it?
Hotspots may be renewed if there are no holds. You can renew the Hotspot by logging into your account or at any Library location, just like any other item. Or call the Library at 330-875-1696, and we can renew it for you!
How do I request a Hotspot?
Hotspots can be requested through the Library's online catalog like other Library materials; just type Hotspot in the search box. When you place a hold, you will be placed on a waiting list to receive the next available hotspot.
What information about my Internet usage, if any, is tracked by the Library or the service provider?
Your Internet usage is not tracked by the Library or the service provider.
Is the Hotspot secure?
Hotspots are unsecured, wireless networks and any information being sent or received over the network could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user. Hotspot borrowers are cautioned against transmitting their credit card information, passwords, and any other sensitive, personal information while using any wireless network, and do so at their own risk.
Is the Hotspot filtered?
Hotspot Internet usage is not filtered in any way.
How many devices can be connected at one time to the Hotspot?
Up to 16 devices can connect to the Hotspot at one time. Note that connecting many devices may slow down connection speed.
How much data can I use?
The Hotspots are on unlimited data plans managed by the Library. You can use as much data as you desire without deactivation or throttled speeds.
Can I use the Hotspot to send/receive text messages?
No. Texting/SMS messaging is not available.
I have successfully connected, however I have slow-to-no internet access.
The Hotspots gain internet access through T-Mobile cell towers. If the Hotspot has no signal from T-Mobile, it will not be able to give you internet access. Check the front of the Hotspot and look for signal bars. If no bars are found, the device has no signal. Turn the device off and back on to try to gain internet access. If signal bars do not appear, you may be out of T-Mobile’s network coverage. Please use the T-Mobile map at https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map to verify coverage area.
How long does the battery last?
The battery provides up to 24 hours of continuous use. Depending on signal strength, number of devices connected, or pressure of usage, the device’s battery life will vary.
How do I disconnect a personal device from the Hotspot?
The Hotspot does not have the ability to forget or disconnect devices from itself. You must manually go into the Wi-Fi settings on your device and "forget" the Hotspot in order to disconnect.
Can I use the Hotspot outside of the U.S.?
No, the Hotspots only work in the U.S.
What is the coverage area?
Please use the T-Mobile map at https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map